Summer Vacation in Keystone, Colorado
By: Elizabeth Hart
In need of a late summer vacation? Let me suggest Keystone, Colorado! Wonderful weather, gorgeous scenery and plenty of exciting activities make this a favorite destination! I attended a wedding at the Keystone, Colorado Vacation atop Dercum Mountain in August of 2010.
The backdrop for the ceremony looked like a painting, except, a painting could not have been more perfect! To get to the ceremony, a 10 minute or more gondola ride was necessary. This was the perfect segway to the flawless wedding location!
While wedding activities dominated the weekend, there were plenty of exploring opportunities! Some activities we enjoyed in addition to the wedding:
- Mountain Biking – Keystone Resort had a mountain biking course established on the slopes that entertain skiers during the snow-covered winters. For the person who may prefer biking on a paved surface (ME!) there are numerous paved trails and plenty of roads for road biking! Just remember, going down is the easy part!
- Horseback Riding – Keystone Summer Stables offer trail and pony rides during the summer months. This was a fun way to spend the afternoon exploring the local mountain! But for those who aren’t keen on horses but want to see the scenery, the stables also offer covered wagon rides.
- Fly Fishing – Pristine lakes, ponds, and rivers that appear completely untouched spot the landscape just begging for you to cast your fly line in hopes of enticing a nice, big trout! Check out Andy Thornal Company’s Trout Fly Fishing Collection!
- Trail Hiking – Loveland Pass was a beautiful trail along the Continental Divide! Guided local hikes are also available through various agencies and local stores. Check out Andy Thornal Company Hiking Boot Collection!
- GPS Geocaching – It’s a modern day treasure hunt! It is so exciting to find that first cache! I can’t wait for my next geocaching adventure!
There are many more fun experiences to be had in the Keystone area:
- River Rafting – Multiple rafting opportunities exist! Challenge the Colorado or Arkansas Rivers!
- Zip lining & Rock Climbing – become one with the incredible mountainous terrain!
- Wine Tastings
- Golf – Keystone is one of the most respected golf resorts thanks to its 36 incredible championship holes!
- Gem Panning for the Kids!
The wonderfully mild summer weather of Keystone, Colorado lends itself to the wearing of shorts, t-shirts, and tank tops! But, you must me mindful of the much cooler evenings! Daily outdoor activities allowed me to wear the usual Sun Protection Clothing that dominates my closet. Evenings, however, were very chilly and my North Face fleece came in very handy!
See our Colorado Summer Clothing Collection for Andy Thornal Company recommendations!
Colorado Mountain Travel Tips:
- Eagle Creek Pack-It System keeps your clothing organized
- Eagle Creek’s Double sided cube separates clean and dirty items!
- Eagle Creek’s Folders keeps shirts and pants neatly folded to eliminate wrinkles!
- Remember TSA’s TSA 3-2-1 Liquid Bottles rules for airplane carryon luggage!
- High Altitude: Drink plenty of water, and a small dose of aspirin helps, too.
This was a wonderful trip and I hope to be back to Keystone someday for some snow skiing!